Saints Fall to Bulldogs in Final Home Game of the Season

Saints-Bulldogs Logos.jpg

June 13 – The Saints were looking to even their season series against the Bulldogs on Tuesday night in Newmarket. The two teams went to overtime earlier this year, with Halton Hills coming away with an 11-10 victory. Both sides also had a lot of new faces post-trade deadline as the Saints shipped a pair of players to Nepean, while the Bulldogs acquired four.

Dylan Munro started for Newmarket, while Halton Hills gave the nod to Samuel Haines.

Starts have been an issue for the Saints lately and this game was no different as the Bulldogs got on the board just over a minute in. Defence and goaltending took over for a while after that with neither offence being able to generate much over the next ten minutes. That changed quickly as the Bulldogs struck three times in just over three minutes to go into the break with a 4-0 lead.

The second period started with the Saints killing a five-minute major. Several lengthy possessions wore the PK down and the Bulldogs capitalized with a pair of power play goals to make it 6-0. Despite the hole, the Saints didn’t quit. Luca Romano threaded the needle to a wide-open Liam Hamilton who fired a shot from 15-feet out to get Newmarket on the board.  Less than two minutes later, Hamilton buried again and the score was 6-2.

Shortly after, a disagreement at centre had the Saints come out behind on penalties, giving the Bulldogs another three minute advantage. Led by Munro, the Saints penalty killers stood tall and steered away all chances. Kavon Pinnock also broke in all alone and scored, only to have the goal waved off due to a commotion at the end of the floor. Before the period closed out, the Bulldogs added one more to make it 7-2.

In the third, the Saints came out running as Dante Romano corralled a loose ball, ran the floor and ripped home a ten-footer. The Saints kept pressing, but that’s as close as they would get. Halton Hills scored once more to make it 8-3 and that’s how it ended.

“It's a three period game and we really only showed up for the last two” said Saints Head Coach, Dan Ransom Sr. "It's not the result we wanted after a couple big wins last week, but I think that our group has really started to gel. Two more (games) this weekend and we control our fate." 

Final score: Bulldogs 8 – Saints 3.

Up next – another massive game as the Saints can clinch a playoff spot against the Ironheads on Friday. Game time is 8PM at Pickering Recreation Complex.